Role Models.
Who were my role models?
Did I know what role models meant when i was young?
Did I know what qualities role models were suppose to have?
"Mama, for Halloween, I want to be Hannah Montana!"
"Hmm, ok. Do you know who Hannah Montana is?"
"Of course! She dresses like this (graphic tee and jeans,platform sandals with long loose hair) and she sings,see?"
"Ahh, yes, of course.."
She knows about role models.
Or does she really?
No. Not even close.
Did I at that age?
I thought i did.
Let me think...
Yes - Lindsay Wagner, the Bionic Woman was one and Farrah Fawcett from Charlie's Angels was another.
I wanted to be like the Bionic Woman. I wanted to be strong like her, I copied the way she flicked her hair...I wanted to smile and laugh like her.
The Angel? Well, I just thought she was really cute. Her hair, her smile...and her name..my name too! How cool is that?? Thus i AM her!
Superficial, I know..but those were the "qualities" i wanted in myself back then.
At that stage in my life it was oh so important!!
'Look deep within yourself and you will find them already in you, just waiting to blossom'.
Did Confucious say that?
But, as everyone knows...
At a tender age to look deep is, well, quite unrealistic.
At a later age, a teenager perhaps, dude, look deep? Duh.
At a more mature age, look deep means later.
Life speeds along, faster and faster till one day, you stop.
For whatever reason, you do stop.
You look deep. Way deep into the abyss.
Sometimes you see shadows, sometimes it is crystal clear.
Role models.
I hope one day I become a role model.
For my daughter.
I hope to show her confidence.
I hope to show her high self esteem.
I hope to show her compassion.
I hope to show her dignity.
I hope to show her respect.
I hope to show her humility.
I hope to show her love.
I hope to show her so much more.
And so, I stopped and looked deep.
Some are crystal clear.
Some are still shadows.
Concentrate. Focus. Find those qualities.
For my own self.
More importantly, for my daughter.
Ah yes, you were always thinking yourself as Farrah Fawcett! You just can't 'skateboard' as well as her. :)
ReplyDeleteoh its you! lol.
ReplyDeletehello kakak farah. how've you been?
ok! tak datang chicago pun ya...otherwise how are you too?
ReplyDeleteTunku Farah, your writings are just ..... magnificent. I enjoy them all ! keep writing.
ReplyDeleteBrowser
you are making me blush. Thank you. When inspiration hits me I will write more:) Peace.
ReplyDelete