by Tunku Farah Ainiah Tunku Farid
"You and only you have the power to feel good. Do it but do not abuse it." - Anonymous
How hard is it to utter the words "Good Morning!"?
How hard is it to ask your supervisor if it is alright to rip open a new bag of one cent coins in order to not short change your customer?
How hard is it to turn on the switch so that the client can have their electricity back on in their home?
How hard is it for an office full of "management employees" to give great service to their clients?
This is only the tip of the iceberg. If it were to go on, the whole iceberg would already melt with the heat that is emanating from just one unsatisfied soul living in Kuala Lumpur. Let me just tell you the story behind the first question..
..just the first question. If I do all four, you, my dear readers, will grow whiskers..
People of all shapes and sizes go for their morning stroll, power walk, run, tai chi, ci qoung and what have you in many parks in the city. Most parks will have security guards sitting around at the entrances or you may just be lucky to see one on a motorcycle doing his mandatory rounds. Let me touch on the first group. Mind you, my experience is not just a one time deal that I am griping about. This is perpetually a weekly affair.
I go to one of the many parks here in KL, once a week to be with nature and of course to get my old heart pumping :) And every visit to the park, I will past the guards sitting around at the entrance. I greet them, every time without fail, "Selamat Pagi! Apa khabar ...?" (Good Morning!How do you do?)
AND every week I get nothing back from them.
NOTHING.
NADA.
Not a nod, not even an eye contact. This week they didnt even bother to stop talking to each other. These are fully grown men in their fifties. Not some young and naive ones, ok? Them, I can understand, just badly brought up. But these, I could not believe! I guess I have to extend the same statement to them too..
Badly brought up! Or more likely bitter old farts.
So, here is what I am planning to do come Thursday. I will STOP in front of them and give the same greeting. Surely they will have to acknowledge my presence right? I wonder what they will think of that!
For a full report, come back next week. Till then , ta!
No comments:
Post a Comment