"May tomorrow be a perfect day
May you find love and laughter along the way
May He keep you in his tender care
Till He brings us together again.."
I woke up this morning and prayed my subuh and then went to the kitchen to start brewing the coffee. This is after all the morning routine on a school day. Note that i do not use the word weekday. Dont get me wrong -when i was growing up, i loved school, just detested the process of getting up and ready for school. Too much effort. So now that Aisya is going to school, I guess i have no choice but to be up earlier to get her breakfast and clothes ready, coffee ready for my dear husband and I (so we wont be cranky in the morning...) and then rouse the young one out of bed and for the next half hour EVERYDAY I harass and hurry her so we can be in the car by a reasonable time to get to school by 8am!!!
Anyway, as I was saying, everything was going as usual this morning. I suddenly had the urge to make scramble eggs with cheddar cheese and toasted bagel for breakfast. "She has not had that for a while. Maybe she'll eat it this morning instead of her standard quick and easy waffle or pancake".
As I opened the refrigerator to grab the eggs, cheese and milk, I was hit with the phrase you see above! I could not beleive how calm it made me and actually made me smile. Donny and Marie Osmond. They always sang that at the end of their show and somehow, that little memory slipped out and put a smile on my face. I can still hear hear them sing it even as I am writing this down.
If you were ever a fan of D&M, you would not have missed their variety show that was shown way back in the mid to late 70's. It was every girl's dream to be Donny Osmond's girlfriend and later wife. So when he married Debbie whatshername, rumors circulated that he had died. That was how bad the fans took it!! Of course after a while, their show ended and everybody moved on the Jacksons and whatever else that came along.
I remember once i was grounded and my tv privileges were taken away for a week. Harsh. Very harsh! I LIVED for television. I was like a sponge with the box. Of course D&M show was on a Friday night if I remember correctly. Anyway, I was going to miss my show!! Oh my god. What was I going to do? For a week after being told that i was going to lose tv for a week, I racked my brain so hard ( I wished i had done the same in my studies!! LOL) to find a way to actually see the show. I could not go to my BFF's house because my parents were going out that night and us kids werent invited. So what was I suppose to do???!
7pm rolled along.. the show was going to be on at 9pm. I was frantic. We had no VCR. That was unheard of then. Then I had a brainstorm. I could try to watch it from my neighbour's house! I have to explain further on this. You see, our house was on the cul-de-sac on a hill. At the bottom of the hill there is an apartment building. The neighbours always had their tv on and always turned it on quite loud. We could on occasion see what shows they were watching. So...I picked an apartment that had the best view of the tv and camped myself outside the car porch area and waited and hoped that someone would turn to the channel that had the show!
"What are you doing?" Farahat asked at 8:30pm. "I am going to watch Donny and Marie Show." "We cant watch TV remember?"said Farazil. "Abah and Mama said we cannot watch the TV in the house. They never said we cannot watch someone else's TV!" said I. The boys thought this over a while and then said they were going to join me. Hahaha!!! I think Izzat was still a very young toddler and I cannot remember if he was already in bed or with us. Anyway, our house helpers sat outside with us as well and despite the humid weather and mosquitoes that were biting us to death, WE WATCHED THE SHOW!
Moral of the story? Laws can be made. Up to you to find the loopholes:) Were we grounded more for disobeying? No. I think our parents figured that if I can be that resourceful, I should be given some credit. My brothers snitched or narked on me the next day but I thought I saw a smile on my father's face when he heard it. My mother? Well, I think she felt the same as my dad but of course she could not show it. Someone had to be the authoritative figure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ooo ooo, i remember Donnie & Marie show!!
ReplyDeletehey, i didn't snitch on you. did i?
ReplyDeleteno it was ajil!!
ReplyDeletealah you probably urged him to do so!! ahahha!
ReplyDeleteisnt this comical? now i dont know what to do - blog more? what about my writing?????
i hope ajil reads this. izzat too. and abah:)
ReplyDeletei think your writing is wonderful. its easy to read and funny too.
ReplyDeletemore perhaps?
Now that both of us read your memography we cannot but help feeling bad about being so "cruel" to you all then ! so sorry. we apolgise for causing miseries to all of you. We always love you all without reservations !
ReplyDeleteABAH MAMA
Reading your articles and the comments thereon cannot but convince me, your website is the BEST family's of its kind ! Congratulations !!!
ReplyDeleteBROWSER
thank you!! Very kind of you.
ReplyDeleteNot cruel... parents set rules and expectations. No grudges. We love you too Abah and Mama. Would not want it any other way!!
ReplyDeleteyes please blog more.
ReplyDelete