Remisnicing childhood breakfast.

3 Dec 2015

It snowed this morning. Sloppy snow but enough to trigger some childhood foods we used to grow up with. I went into the pantry and took a can of mushroom soup and heated it up and slurped it all up before 8am!
Soup you say? Damn right. It was one of the sides we used to have all the time growing up. Simple can of mushroom soup by Campbells. Except today I had the grown up version from Progresso.

It was only on the weekends, especially on Sundays, my mother would make us a very unique breakfast. I dont know where it originated from. I think even my late maternal grandmother even adopted this when we would go to her home for holidays. I am still perplexed. Nevertheless, I miss it. Here are the ingredients.

Can of spaghetti O
Sunny side up egg or fried egg (depending on your preference)
Corn beef hash
Toast of bread
Onion
Chili padi (optional)
Can of Campbell's mushroom soup

Fry up the beef hash with onion and chili padi.
Heat up the spaghetti O till warm or hot.
Do your sunny side up egg or fry an egg.
Heat up the soup and dish out into a bowl.
Toast and butter your bread.
Serve it all up!
Soup is of course for slurping and dipping if you like.

Simple, decadent and so delicious. Try it.
Cheers
Farah

3 comments:

  1. Ya ya I remember! Now it's a bit more sophisticated especially on the sauce but still the same comfort food ������������

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aida Halim10:34 am

    I think the origin of this dish/meal is from Ireland. And later on, British Army sustained on cans of corned beef for breakfast during the Napoleonic wars. And also, fun fact, President Lincoln's inaugural luncheon menu consisted of mock turtle soup, corned beef and cabbage, parsley potatoes, blackberry pie and coffee.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Didn't know about President Lincoln's luncheon menu!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS